Monday, November 2, 2009

Interview with two sisters who've lost a combined total of 140 pounds!!

Kerri and Casey are twin sisters who've -combined- lost 140 lbs. Truly amazing! I met them at my counselor's office while they were waiting to see her and give her 'before' and 'after' photos. I luckily had my notepad and pen and asked them if it was okay to interview them for my blog. They agreed under the promise that I not use their last names.
So, I won't. BUT, I will tell you their story. It's one you might be familiar with, as Kerri and Casey began their tale.
In 1997, they both turned 13 (they're twins) and were weighing in around 200 lbs. Their Mom and Dad said that if they lost 20 pounds each by Christmas they'd get to pick out one BIG gift costing $250 dollars or less. Eager to get the prize money, they started dieting. They did their own diet which was basically anorexia and bulimia combined. They consumed only 900 calories and if they over ate, they'd vomit the contents back up. "Stupid idea, I admit now. But back then we didn't know any better." says Casey, showing me the picture of them in December 1997. They looked like two Nicole Richie's, having lost 45 pounds each in 4 months. They exercised from 3 in the afternoon until 7 in the evening, consumed most of their calories from fruit and bread, and cut out all drinks that weren't water. Then, finally, Christmas 1997 they weighed in that morning. Kerri was 156 lbs. and Casey was 157 lbs. They'd met their goal, exceeded it, and were off to buy everything they wanted with their reward money. Bu, On January 12the, 1998 they gained 10 pounds in what seemed like overnight. "In one week, we packed on 10 pounds. It's unbelievable." says Kerri.
Not knowing what to do, they just went with the flow. By age 15, they were 250 lbs. Now, at age 24 they're both 180.

Q: So, what were all the exercises and diet plans you tried to lose the weight?

Casey: Well, at first we tried to pick a celebrity and do their diet plan and workout regimen but, that didn't last for long. J.LO's diet is just too weird for me. Who drinks eggs?

Kerri: Yeah, at 15 I wanted to look like Halle Berry because everyone thought she was hot. I can't do cardio for 2 hours, gulp down a protein and carbohydrate shake, then do strength training for another 2 hours. I have a job!

Q: What was your wake up call?

Kerri: My clothing options. Floral, stretchy pants, and sandals just don't go together.

Casey: Probably when I couldn't sit down in a regular movie theater seat. I had to use two of them.

Q: Did you ever get harassed for being so big?

Kerri: Not much, no. I mainly got alot of "pity friends". They actually would encourage me to be chubby.

Casey: Ditto. They'd always give me big portions if I ever ate over at their house.

Q: How long did it take you to lose the weight?

Casey: A little over 6 months. Of course, I wasn't an avid exerciser! ha ha ha! my aerobic satisfaction was Pilate's and that's about it.

Kerri: 6 to 7 months. I'm an exercise lover! I lost the biggest amount I think, after I started running.

Casey: Yeah, she likes to sweat.

Q: Have you noticed any changes besides the obvious? i.e. the way people treat you?

Casey: Yes. Before it seemed I was judged before I even spoke. Now, people actually listen to what I have to say.

Kerri: My biggest difference was confidence. Before I would barely talk to anyone at work, now I'm going to parties that I've would've said 'no' to.

Q: What was your diet plan?

Kerri: We had different views on this one. I like alot of carbs and protein in the morning, a real heavy filling breakfast. I did the "Idiot Proof" diet. High protein and fiber. It's really easy to follow.

Casey: I'm a South Beach kind of girl. I like alot of light food. The only thing I didn't like about the plan was no carbs for a while. I like toast and English muffins. Serious withdrawal!

Q: Do you still follow these plans?

Kerri: Yeah. It's easy to.

Casey: When I start to gain some pounds I'll go all out, but for the most part I just follow the basic guidelines.

Kerri: Sometimes I switch to the same plan when I'm having diet fatigue.

Q: So, last question, any final advice you would give to my readers?

Casey: Don't ever give giving up a thought! YOU CAN DO IT!! I'm a snail and I lost 70 pounds, you can sure as heck do it!

Kerri: If you really want it, DON'T YOU DARE THINK NEGATIVE! look in the mirror everyday and applaud what you've accomplished, even if it's a 1 pound loss. That's what weight loss is all about, baby steps.

Q: Thank you very much for your time!

Kerri: No problem! and goo luck to you and your readers on The Journey.

Casey: Yeah, you're gonna have to host a "lose your pants" party when you finish.


Stay fit,

Sarah


REFERENCES:

The Idiot Proof Diet by Neris Thomas and India Knight

South Beach Diet By Arthur Agatston

Everything! Pilate's book by Amy Taylor Alpers and Rachel Taylor Segel

The complete book of running by Amby Burfoot

No comments:

Post a Comment