Saturday, July 18, 2009

Shower Epiphanies: The good, the bad, and the too lazy to try

Yesterday, whilst taking a shower (that's why it's a shower epiphany), I started thinking about exercises (you can't avoid thinking about exercising when you're in the nude) I'd seen but written off as fads or boring.

For example, I'd always seen pilates as something yoga enthusiasts or hippies would do. Now that I do pilates, I realize how fun and challenging it is and I'm sad thinking about how much time I wasted booing it. It was hard to hear my booing mainly because my mouth was probably stuffed full with Oreo's or Cheeto's.

I wasted a good 10 years of my life before I started exercising. Even as a small child I'd prefer reading and watching T.V. to running around playing tag or hide and go seek. But, at the age of 10 I was getting to big for my trousers and the doctor was concerned so mom started making me do a little more outside. I met Shannon there.
Shannon had a life I only ever dreamed of. She did what she wanted when she wanted and never got in trouble if what she wanted to do was against the rules. Shannon was also big like me. Actually, she was a little smaller than me. As our friendship grew so did our waistlines and our parents put us on diets and what not but we still got bigger. Shannon always remained a size smaller than me. But, I felt good around Shannon, primarily because she could get boys to like her and she wasn't restricted by her size. When you're 13 and you say "I'm a size 14" it doesn't sound as bad as "I'm a size 18". Our friendship started to drift apart around the time she went into high school, between boyfriends, homework, and different sports she took up, it became difficult to keep up. Shannon does three different sports at her school: Volleyball, Basketball, and Softball. She's now a lot smaller than me, But, I always cheer for her. Shannon was one person who couldn't be stopped from being herself. She wasn't malicious about it just, she persevered.

So, I wonder what I would be like if I had caught the Shannon 'tude? Sometimes I think I would've ended up looking like Shannon, but I don't know. Shannon's straight as a line body type wise and I'm curvy and round. So, I think it's safe to say, I would've ended up looking like Charles Barkley: The round mound of rebound.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment